In this incredibly eighty-sixth episode of The Gap Minders, we spoke with the illuminating Johnny Garcia, who is the Impact Manager of United Way of San Diego County!Listen to “Episode 86 | Johnny Garcia, Impact Manager, United Way of San Diego County” on Spreaker.
In this excellent episode, Nancy and Jose are joined in the studio by Johnny Garcia, the Impact Manager at United Way of San Diego County. At 26 years old with a degree in criminal justice and a minor in leadership development from San Diego State University, Johnny reflects on the challenges and disparities he witnessed in his community.
Listen as Johnny discusses his transformative experience at Millennium Tech Middle School, which changed his environment, friendships, and outlook on life. His passion for community policing and rehabilitation stems from his parents’ work, and he shares a touching story about his mom’s belief in his potential, expressed in a letter before her passing.
Hear about Johnny’s role at United Way, particularly in the “Steam to Careers” initiative, focusing on career readiness in Southeast San Diego and Escondido. He describes impactful visits to companies like Illumina and Solar Turbines, where students gain exposure to various career paths. Johnny emphasizes the importance of bridging the gap and instilling belief in young people, drawing from his personal experiences.
This episode also delves into challenges faced by students, including reading difficulties and educational growth, and Johnny highlights the role of tangible achievements, like scholarships, in gaining parental support and also emphasizes the significance of giving students a solid foundation to stand upon and strive for greatness.
An excellent episode on filling gaps in the community with Johnny Garcia. Here are some other takeaways from the interview:
- Johnny’s personal journey from growing up in Southeast San Diego to becoming an advocate for education and community impact.
- The pivotal role Millennium Tech Middle School played in changing Johnny’s life, shaping his mindset, and introducing him to STEM fields, ultimately inspiring his passion for community policing and rehabilitation.
- Johnny’s current focus on career readiness programs in Southeast San Diego and Escondido in his role at United Way of San Diego County.
- Johnny’s vision for the future, aiming to expand and evolve career readiness programs at United Way. Emphasizing the power of providing hope as a solid foundation for students to endure challenges and strive for greatness.
- The answers to the rapid-fire questions
An excellent interview from a passionate gap minder. Thank you, Johnny, for your contributions in San Diego, and for joining us on The Gap Minders.
Enjoy this episode and be sure to subscribe to the show.
If you have any questions or want to contact Nancy or Jose, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for listening.
To learn more about the two social impact organizations making The Gap Minders possible, please visit www.TheGapMinders.org.