Welcome to the sixth episode of The Gap Minders. Today we have the incredible opportunity to chat with Dr. Carlos Cortez, who is the Chancellor of the San Diego Community College District!Listen to “Episode 6 | Dr. Carlos Cortez, Chancellor, San Diego Community College District” on Spreaker.
In this episode, Nancy and Jose are joined in studio for a great conversation with Dr. Carlos Cortez, the Chancellor of the San Diego Community College District, the 7th largest community college district in the United States. Chosen by the Board of Trustees after a national search, Dr. Cortez brings a life of educational excellence, as a student at Georgetown, NYU and USC, as a Principal, as a Professor, as a President and CEO and now as Chancellor.
With a lifelong focus on diversity, equity and inclusivity, Dr. Cortez brings to his work an intense focus on the basic needs of students, the need to serve an ever changing mix of students with varying needs and gaps, and the power of collaboration with local partners to address student needs.
Some amazing takeaways from the interview with Dr. Cortez:
- When addressing gaps, it is important to use data and trends to inform the actions
required and the need to pivot to address new student groups, including migrants from various countries
- The greater relevance of “1984” today compared to when he first read it
- How he is exploring a revolutionary idea to have the SD Community College District use land to address housing insecurity for students and employees by building affordable housing
- The lack of funding at the community college level vs K-12 and four-year college state expenditures
- Why he feels the biggest challenge as a leader is managing change
- His passion for doing more for foster youth and the importance of every child having a family
- The answers to the Rapid Fire questions! (An inspired choice for favorite band!)
A truly great interview from a purposeful gap minder. Thank you, Carlos for joining us on The Gap Minders and for being the literacy and education champion that you are.
Enjoy this episode and be sure to subscribe to the show.
If you have any questions or want to contact Nancy or Jose, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for listening.
To learn more about the two social impact organizations making The Gap Minders possible, please visit www.TheGapMinders.org.